Thursday, March 22, 2012

solar

After much arm-waving and boat-stalking and soliciting opinions of how exactly to put a usable amount of solar on a pointy double-ender, I found Custom Marine Products' solar mount. It's a really great idea, but 1) it's $800, and 2) I couldn't figure out where to put it on my boat. So, I ordered about $200 worth of junk from onlinemetals and McMaster-Carr and got out my trusty sawzall.

2 100-watt panels mounted on poles above the pushpit. These twist and swivel - here one is "up" (in back) and one "down" to catch the morning sun. (Mid-March 38*N)
125W panel on the dodger
Morningstar 45-amp MPPT charge controller. Plenty of capacity to grow.
9-ish AM. Mostly-full batteries. Backstay shadow on one 100W panel, boom shadow across dodger panel, dew on all the panels, kinda-sorta pointed sun-wise. 11.5amps. Whoa!

2 comments:

  1. Nice solar setup. I've been looking at how I'm going to put solar on my boat someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, but...I had to redo the mounts fairly quickly - that wasn't stable enough. I'll try to update pictures - eventually....

    ReplyDelete